:: Re: [Dng] LILO
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] LILO
On Sunday, February 08, 2015 12:00:01 PM dng-request@??? wrote:
> From:    Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@???>
> To:    bill.m.moss@???
> CC:    Dng@???
> Date:    Today 04:01:42 AM

> "NOTE: I plan to finish development of LILO at 12/2015 because of some
> limitations (e.g. with BTFS, GPT, RAID). If someone want to develop
> this nice software further, please let me know ..."
>
> http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Conclusions? If we want to use lilo, then, we need to add this
> functionality. I like this idea, but this means a lot of work :/
>
> Daniel

With the greatest respect intended toward your situation, Daniel, LILO is
something that should have been retired a long time ago. GRUB is by far the
better maintained boot-loader.

If you are still using LILO on old machines (pre-2008) or machines with
questionable EFI compatibility, I'd recommend grub-legacy instead. Everyone
else that actually has a decent UEFI firmware should be using GRUB2 by now.

The newer versions of Windows will not dual boot into UEFI mode without UEFI
support in the loader. Even if you hate Windows intensely, and never use it,
you should be using GPT rather than MBR. GPT not only offers support for
partitions/drives larger than 2 TB, it also has better redundancy than MBR.
If the MBR area (first sectors) of a drive is physically unreadable, then the
entire disk might (not always) be rendered unusable . GPT keeps a copy of the
partition table at the beginning of the drive and a backup at the end of the
disk, greatly increasing your chances of recovery should the first sectors of
the drive fail.

T.J.