:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nate Bargmann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
* On 2015 03 Feb 03:22 -0600, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:54 -0600, t.j.duchene@??? wrote:
> > On Monday, February 02, 2015 07:57:23 PM Vlad wrote:
> > I think that uselessd or FreeBSD's compatibility projects are probably the
> > most likely solutions.
>
> What about Guix with GNU dmd as init system? This is at least the GNU
> future (and does not involve systemd at all) :)

I did an installation to a Qemu VM last year which was a bit tricky but
doable. I did not try to use it beyond a bit of playing around. I
found that the way it manages packages in a central "store" to be quite
different from anything I am used to as is the location of various
config files. The idea of being able to roll back to prior versions of
various packages is intriguing but I did not use the system enough to
get to test that feature. Guix is based on Nix, AIUI.

The package administration and some of the system administration is done
in Scheme.

The installer needs an amount of polish to get to the level of a
Slackware, let alone a Debian installer experience. Just my opinion,
but it's likely the project will address that as other areas are
stabilized.

I had no chance to deal with dmd as I was playing and not trying to
admin the system.

The developers appear motivated toward a solid release to showcase the
GNU System (sans HURD at this point). Of course, being a GNU project,
various non-free kernel blobs and other software (contrib and non-free)
are not available. This made installing to an actual hard drive
partition on my T410 limited to using the Ethernet controller and not
the Intel Wireless adapter. I never got far enough to install Xorg.

- Nate