:: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: q9c9p
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
On 2015-01-31 06:01, Joel Roth wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
>> Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:

>> > So, what's the problem with grub?
>>
>> No problem with Grub. Grub2 is the problem. Millions of files messing
>> with millions of variables, and sometime following the instructions of
>> which programs compile those files and which program puts it on the
>> mbr/guid or whatever it's called actually works.
>>
>> I can probably find you five different ways in the Internet to change
>> the font size on booting, and none of them works.
>>
>> Just like systemd, it's great if someone else does it for you, it's
>> horrific if you have to do some DIY.
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Beside the bug that caused me to jump ship, I didn't find
> GRUB too bad. Just instead of one config file you have lots
> of them. :^)
>
> The old GRUB with one config file was slightly more
> convenient.
>
> Getting a kind of command shell from GRUB is amazing, really
> very cool. However, there is a cost in complexity. Not
> everyone wants to learn all the ins and out of this large
> system.
>
> For Devuan, I would advocate and support a long-term
> interest in LILO. I think we would want to allow people
> solve their problems with less and simpler code.
>
> Joel
>

>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
>> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Hello to all,

pardon me for intruding the discussion without a proper presentation,
about bootloaders I'm experimenting with iPXE, its a replacement for pxe
bootloader and it allows to load wireless drivers and netboot.
I know is not legacy bootloader, but I just wanted to point it out
because is utterly powerfull, like doing netboot from http/s, and not
many people as of yet knows about it, it even boot from floppy and UEFI
and has a interactive shell.
I would advocate what has already being state in dng, given the choice
let the users decide what they want.

Good day 2 all, and pardon the intrusion (and pardon me Joel for having
replied to you and not to the list).