:: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Joel Roth
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
Steve Litt wrote:
> Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 17:39 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is it just me, or is Grub2 as complex and error prone as systemd?
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if we can have alternate boot loaders.
> >
> > So, what's the problem with grub?
>
> No problem with Grub. Grub2 is the problem. Millions of files messing
> with millions of variables, and sometime following the instructions of
> which programs compile those files and which program puts it on the
> mbr/guid or whatever it's called actually works.
>
> I can probably find you five different ways in the Internet to change
> the font size on booting, and none of them works.
>
> Just like systemd, it's great if someone else does it for you, it's
> horrific if you have to do some DIY.

Hi Steve,

Beside the bug that caused me to jump ship, I didn't find
GRUB too bad. Just instead of one config file you have lots
of them. :^)

The old GRUB with one config file was slightly more
convenient.

Getting a kind of command shell from GRUB is amazing, really
very cool. However, there is a cost in complexity. Not
everyone wants to learn all the ins and out of this large
system.

For Devuan, I would advocate and support a long-term
interest in LILO. I think we would want to allow people
solve their problems with less and simpler code.

Joel