:: Re: [Dng] libsysdev preview
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: Isaac Dunham
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] libsysdev preview
Hi Isaac,

> I was asking about implementation details (something like the HACKING
> document that many projects have, giving an overview of how it works
> internally).

Good idea; I'll add one.

> I'm getting the impression that libsysdev won't really make a good
> backend for the udev API; libudev is a much more low-level interface,
> with somewhat different logical division and flow.
> (Abstractly, I'd be happy if it did work. But wasting time for the sake
> of promoting libsysdev isn't going to help replace udev.)

Interestingly, the libudev API doesn't look that tightly coupled to the
udev implementation to begin with, which is why I consider libudev-compat
to be feasible. Namely, I'm going with the following implementation
strategy:

udev: library state catch-all
udev_list: this is just a linked list implementation of (key, value)
pairs, which some other methods in libudev happen to return
udev_device: mostly, this is reading data from sysfs and /dev. Not sure
yet about device properties, but I'll figure something out. Might want to
use libsysdev here, and/or recycle parts of vdev's linux back-end.
udev_monitor: don't even bother with netlink. Just inotify-monitor /dev
for changes, so even a static dev will generate events.
udev_enumerate: this is just applying a generic set of filters on a sysfs
directory listing.
udev_queue: don't bother connecting to udev. Just inotify-monitor /dev
again, but do so in the background (i.e. on library init).
udev_hwdb: read udev hwdb files
udev_util: only one string-encoding method; nothing to see here.

-Jude