:: Re: [Dng] Purpose of all this compl…
Top Pagina
Auteur: karl
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Purpose of all this complicated device management?
Gravis:
> karl, what's with the hostility?

Oh, maybe it come out to harsh, sorry for that.

> vdev is by no means required and
> nothing depends on it, so nobody is being forced to even install it.
> also, since it is based on FUSE, it won't actually add/remove static
> device files, so when the program exits, it will go back to your
> static device files. you can set rules in the vdev config file so
> that you can make devices behave as you wish. vdev is still in
> development, so no behavior is set in stone and can updated for new
> situations as they are discovered/reported.

I think I was mostly talking about udev, or rather about people who
don't accept that some users actually don't need udev.

///

One use case I could find useful is to have an xdev that I could
run from-time-to-time to check if I'm missing something in /dev.

Also a lib that maps major/minor to /dev/name and the like, a command
that "scans lspci" and the like, and suggests kernel modules,
which I then at my own discretion can add to /etc/modules.
I.e. an udev that instead of taking over the system, gives me some
tools I could use to examine a system.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data