:: Re: [Dng] Use/misuse of depends
Página Principal
Autor: hellekin
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [Dng] Use/misuse of depends
On 01/14/2015 07:52 AM, KatolaZ wrote:

> in some of the cases a Recommend is simply unnecessary (like exim4
> recommended by mutt)

*** This sounds like a misuse. It should be Suggests. I get the logic
of "recommending" an SMTP server for a mail client, but there are many
different implementations and many different use cases of a mail client
including some that do not require an SMTP server. I guess Mutt should
"suggest" an SMTP server, not a specific one anyway.

So we're talking about two different setups: one wants to keep the bloat
away ; the other wants to pull in as much functionality as it can to
ensure no missing feature will surprise the user.

I would certainly favor the former, conservative approach, and leverage
Blends to make meta-packages that pull in Recommends. That way, a
Devuan install would always remain minimalist, but then it would make it
easier to create workhorse Blends. I think this will be useful when
people wants to make specific distributions for mobile phones or some
proprietary hardware.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/