:: Re: [Dng] vdev update and design do…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] vdev update and design document
Am Montag, 5. Januar 2015 schrieb Martijn Dekkers:
> On 5 January 2015 at 07:47, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult <
> enrico.weigelt@???> wrote:

> > > I think for some applications (like dealing with medical records), this
> > > is a legal requirement.
> >
> > No, certainly not (I'm currently working in than area) - that's just
> > misinterpretation. Instead you'll need clear access control rules,
> > mich might have to prevent _operators_ from accessing certain data.
> > In that case, operators wont have root access.
> >

> That answer is just plain wrong. There are several areas where there are
> significant legal requirements around disallowing the concept of a root /
> UID 0 user to have overriding access. Please be advised that SELinux was
> built by the NSA *specifically* to be able to meet these legal
> requirements. Think Government, Finance, Defense, Intelligence, Law
> Enforcement, Medical. Yes, this is first-hand, practical knowledge. Stating
> that there is no legal requirement anywhere for restricting access to
> information only to a certain group of users is .... funny ....

Oh, wasn't the NSA the "inventor" of e.g. the compromised elliptic curve in the NIST standard? I would not give a cent on anything that has a NSA label on it. Be aware that the "legal" concept of the US/UK is confined to that countries and luckily not adressable worldwide.

There's a saying: "For every security problem there is a juridical solution". Take a look at De-Mail to see how that turns out in practice.

Nik