:: Re: [Dng] vdev update and design do…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] vdev update and design document
Hi Hendrik,

> In VAX/VMS there was a feature that could in theory be useful,
> though I've never seen it actually used. Fila permissions could
> forbid the root user from reading the file. This might be useful
> for dire secrets. Even the sysadmin couldn't back up that file.

I think for some applications (like dealing with medical records), this is
a legal requirement.

On Linux at least, locking a user with CAP_SYS_PTRACE out of a userspace
filesystem is impossible, since in the extreme the user can always ptrace
it and override its behavior. In vdev's case, even though it's possible to
create an ACL that prevents even root from seeing devices via the VFS, a
privileged user could still get past it. I'll be sure to document this--I
wouldn't want users to get lulled into a false sense of security.

-Jude