:: Re: [Dng] package submission
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Franco Lanza
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] package submission
On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 07:06:19PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> > and for external hosted sources the devuan gitlab project
> > will have just the debian directory and a devuan specific script similar
> > to the "watch" script used in debian.
>
> I'd strongly suggest NOT doing it that way, but instead have a full
> clone of the upstream repo (at least the relevant branches), and
> directly apply our local changes (including the ./debian/ directory)
> ontop of that.

The idea is to have that for release branches but not for master so we
can easily integrate new upstream releases, considering not all sources
are on an (external) git repo and we cannot just merge changes on every
new upstream release

> The idea behind is _not_ having any additional logic for applying the
> our local changes (eg. patch queues, etc) anymore, but instead having
> the complete tree in our git repo. IMHO, this makes maintanance
> _much_ easier and gives us independence from upstream sites.

Yes, but it make harder to follow upstream new releases in future, as it
sounds like "a fork for every package" that needs to be rebased at any
upstream release

> Yes, it requires more storage space, but storage is pretty cheap.
> And we dont need to have _full_ clones, just the relevant branches/tags,
> even just the recent part of the history (aka shallow clones)

Storage isn't an issue at all

> > When branching for packaging external source hosted packages, a tarball
> > of the specific version has to be built will be copied on the gitlab
> > repo to permit package reproducibility.
>
> Tarballs in git repos are not a good idea ...

Well, this was just for convenience, but another way can be used as long
as it's standardized to manage externally hosted upstream source and
doesn't make harder to maintain packages in sync with upstream

--

Franco (nextime) Lanza
Lonate Pozzolo (VA) - Italy

NO TCPA: http://www.no1984.org
you can download my public key at:
http://danex.nexlab.it/nextime.asc || Key Servers
Key ID = D6132D50
Key fingerprint = 66ED 5211 9D59 DA53 1DF7 4189 DFED F580 D613 2D50
echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D212153574F444E49572045535520454D20454B414D204F54204847554F4E452059415020544F4E4E4143205345544147204C4C4942snlbxq | dc