:: Re: [Dng] Device management [WAS: s…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Cc: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [Dng] Device management [WAS: system scriptinng language.]
Hi Enrico,

> Actually, I think we should get rid of suid at all.

As much as I would like to do this, Adam raised the excellent point that
setuid programs can't be traced or LD_PRELOAD'ed by unprivileged users.
This is critical for safe device access, since the whole point of vdev
equivocating about device permissions is to ensure that only processes that
are trusted not to do Bad Things are allowed to see device nodes under
vdev's control. If we allow the user insert code that does Bad Things into
processes that vdev otherwise trusts, then it's all for naught.

>From a security perspective, setuid can be a good thing, since you can

ensure that the effective UID/GID matches a known-unprivileged user (like
daemon, or nobody) as well, instead of a known privileged user (root).

> Instead have separate users for individual X displays (or "seats"),
> and give these users appropriate permissions to the required devices.
> Then it would be the task of the display manager (or whoever starts
> the X servers) to switch to the correct UID. The same entity would
> be responsible for controlling the X auth tokens and socket locations.

I would imagine that you could have a login script or PAM module that sets
this all up for you, so you could keep it decoupled from a specific display
manager or GUI implementation :)

> I just had a little experiment - tried to run the Xserver as an
> unprivileged user (after giving him access to devices, logfiles, etc),
> but still got permission denied (not for the open(), but individual
> ioctl()s) and it left the tty's in broken state (console lockup when
> switching there).

Thanks for giving this a try! I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'll do
so as soon as I can (I've seen it work on other machines, though). Do you
know which specific ioctl()s failed? What video card and driver are you
using? Are you sure KMS is enabled? Which X server version are you
running?

Thanks,
Jude