:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Rojava economic deta…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Amir Taaki
Aan: unsystem
Onderwerp: Re: [unSYSTEM] Rojava economic details
Q. What is Rojava’s income? Do people pay taxes?

Rojava collects no taxes from its people, and receives a small income
from the border crossing at Semalka. But most of Rojava’s income by far
comes form Cizire’s oil. The canton has thousands of oilfields, but at
the moment only 200 of them are active. Once again, the Baath regime
exploited Cizire’s raw materials but refused to construct processing
plants. So while Cizire has petroleum, it had no refineries. Only since
the revolution has the self-government improvised a large refinery to
produce diesel and benzene, which are sold cheaply in the local economy.
Diesel is now cheaper than water—it goes fuels the small generators that
provide power in much of Cizire. But the canton exploits petroleum only
for its own use.

Q. Why can’t Rojava just sell its oil abroad and gain income from exports?

The reason is the embargo. Rojava shares a long border with Turkey, and
several border crossings exist. But they are officially closed now,
since Turkey embargoes Rojava both politically and economically. The KRG
observes turkey’s embargo, although it has relaxed in recent months to
allow trade through the Semalka crossing. But because of the virtually
complete embargo, Rojava must build everything itself, from local
materials. It gets no investment from outside–all production and all
consumption are domestic. Self-sufficiency is not ideology—it’s an
economic reality.