:: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Som…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Isaac Dunham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Some ideas...
On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:29:15AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 03:03:50PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote
> > On 31.12.2014 10:59, Jude Nelson wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > However, future entanglements with systemd and kdbus could make this
> > > much harder, to the point that eudev has no choice but to diverge
> > > from udev, thereby increasing the maintenance burden considerably.
> >
> > yeah, sooner or later there'll need to do a full fork.
> > we should get in contact with them (I just posted a first mail onto
> > their maillist).
>
> Hi; I read that post. Has anyone here considered "mdev" from the
> busybox package? I'm not a C/C++ programmer, just a Gentoo user,
> but I've been able to replace udev with mdev on my home machines. I was
> the ****-disturber who started up the wiki page...
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

Yes, mdev has been mentioned numerous times on this list.

I tried following that page or a related one to set up X11 sans udev on
Debian, but never got keyboard input working.
(Wondering about configuration/if I need to recompile Mesa and X...).

> I've also managed to enable automounting of USB devices using an ash
> script (I did say I'm not a C/C++ programmer). *GUI NOT REQUIRED* See
> the wiki pages...
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount
> Part of the reason for the "um" script is to allow a regular user to
> unmount a USB key or drive, without constantly running as root, and
> "giving away the store", security wise.

I wonder if mount -o users,... would do what you want.
> /etc/mdev.conf supports executing commands after-creating and
> before-removing a device, analagous to "writing udev rules", but
> different format. busybox is actively maintained at
> http://www.busybox.net/ so it should be around permanently.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@???>

Thanks,