:: Re: [Dng] Purpose of all this compl…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Miles Fidelman
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Purpose of all this complicated device management?
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 31.12.2014 15:44, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Never mind the mechanisms for now.
>> May I ask what all this complexity is supposed to accomplish?
> I'd say, it's for letting the machine do the things automatically.
> Probably not required for servers, but quite helpful for end user
> machines, where regularily new/other devices are plugged in.

I wouldn't quite go as far as "not required for servers" - one does
occasionally swap network cards, hot-swap a disk drive, or plug in a
console.

Then again, the automatic mechanisms don't necessarily work all that
well - things like dynamic address assignment don't work all that well
in a server environment (the cause of more than one all-nighter, in the
early days of udev, trying to figure out things like why a server
wouldn't talk to the net, after updgrading a network card).

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra