:: Re: [Dng] Gnome
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: Vince Mulhollon
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Betreff: Re: [Dng] Gnome
On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:26:42AM -0600, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

[cut]

> A summary might be DEs probably are not as popular or important or actually
> used as much as very widely believed in the dev community, so intense focus
> on them above all other software is counterproductive.

I tend to agree with Vince about the "too much ado for nothing"
concerning desktop environments (I myself am a WindowMaker/xmonad
user...) but we can't just ignore the fact that Debian/Devuan users
should be free to use their desktop of choice, as they have been so
far. I would suggest to keep in mind the original aim of this project:
fork Debian to get rid of the systemd nonsense. And Debian is the only
distro to date which supports dozens of WMs/DEs/DMs, so I think we
should strive to keep up with this good habit.

Having said that, we all know that supporting GNOME without systemd
will probably require some additional effort with respect to a first
Devuan without systemd (and without GNOME). I think that it would be
probably better to first have a functioning Devuan (even without
GNOME) and then we should try to get GNOME back on board. But since I
am not currently helping at all with the development, I don't really
expect this suggestion to be taken that seriously :)

Just let's try not to loose momentum and focus. As I always keep
saying, we have seen too many projects killed by too much initial
excitement not backed up by sufficient manpower, and I wouldn't like
this to happen to Devuan....

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]