:: Re: [Dng] Gnome
Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Lacroix
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Gnome
Am 28.12.2014 22:57 schrieb Klaus Hartnegg:
>> OTOH desktop users that will be attracted to Devuan will also be in
>> majority the same who also already renounced Gnome and Kde.
>
> Very likely yes. But still the largest number of all is probably
> server admins. Linux is mostly a server OS anyway, and desktop users
> probably care less about the init system than server admins do.

I'm mostly a CLI & desktop user and administrator of a few machines. I
do care a lot about the init system. According to what I could read on
forums at LinuxQuestions.org, there are many desktop users who do,
especially when one particular init system is trying to screw the whole
distributions ecosystem. I was a loyal Debian (stable) user for several
years before switching to Slackware two years ago, and I still can't
believe to what they did to such a venerable and rocky project. Again,
not only server admins do care about their init system.

> Does anybody have an idea how many server admins, and how many
> desktop users are interested in Devuan?

What about doing a poll, say, at LinuxQuestions.org? I guess there are
many Debian users and admins who are not happy at all with the new state
of affairs. I guess they might welcome a Debian fork, i.e. a step
backward to sanity.

That said, my hat's off to you, Devuan guys (and gals, if any).

Best wishes,
Philip