:: Re: [Dng] NetworkManager alternativ…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: fr33domlover
A: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Cc: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [Dng] NetworkManager alternative
On 2014-12-26
"Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <enrico.weigelt@???> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> which alternative to NetworkManager do you suggest ?
>
> For mobile systems (eg. notebooks) I really like the idea of
> automatic network setup, but NM is really a pain in the ass, so I'll
> have to decide whether trying to fix it or pick something else.
>

> cu
> --
> Enrico Weigelt,
> metux IT consulting
> +49-151-27565287

I don't use laptops much (my main machine is a laptop turned into desktop),
but only my (really mobile) laptop, I simply use

    # ifup wlan0

and I put the settings in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf or /etc/network/interfaces.
At least in my country, most wireless networks use the same kinds of
protocol/encryption so coming to a new place and running

    # iw dev wlan0 scan

gives me an idea what's available and then I can connect and it "just works". To
be honest I don't travel with it much to new places so 99% of the time it's the
same networks.

I also tried wicd which is very nice, but there were some minor issues with the
GUI. Still probably good enough if you want to avoid NM.

---
fr33domlover         <http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover>
GPG key ID:          63E5E57D (size: 4096)
GPG key fingerprint: 6FEE C222 7323 EF85 A49D  5487 5252 C5C8 63E5 E57D