:: Re: [Dng] sugestion apulse as pulse…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] sugestion apulse as pulseaudio replcement

On 12/25/2014 9:15 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> Can you guys believe this:
>
> A Desktop with 6G of RAM running Ubuntu 14.10 with systemd + pulseaudio:
>

> USER       PID %CPU *_%MEM_*    VSZ   RSS TTY  STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> userzyx   25830   0.3 *_75.0_*   6171772 4487884 ?     S<l  Dez16
>  46:11 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

> Pulseaudio is consuming *_75% of my RAM MEMORY!!!_* WTF IS THIS
> THING??!!! And I'm not playing a single music!

Let's play devil's advocate for just a moment. Don't misunderstand me.
I'm all for hating crappy code, but let's hate with good reason and
precision.

Why are you comparing metrics on an unstable version of the OS? Ubuntu
clearly states that the non-LTS releases are intended for developers and
early adopters only. You will have bugs when you use a version of the
OS that isn't properly vetted and released every 6 months, come what
may. The cause of this issue could be anything, including the
underlying ALSA stack, or a library that PA is linked to, maybe even
memory pages requested by your DE interface to PA. Do you have actual
evidence that PA is the real culprit, say a stack trace?

I remember at least one case of where I traced audio problems, not to
PA, but a bad codec used by gstreamer.

> I still do not believe that Debian was taken over by the shit that
> come out of Lennart / RedHat (sorry about the bad words). And the
> Linux community will put almost all the eggs into the systemd basket!!
> For God's sake, what a fuck is wrong with those people??? Well, I
> really don't care anymore, we have Devuan! YAY!    ^_^

Before you blame Poettering or RedHat you should make sure that they are
actually to blame for your problem. To my knowledge, Poettering doesn't
work on PA as much these days.

> I was trusting my professional life on Debian team and now, this
> crap... The good of open source is that we have the power to make
> forks... Whew!

Ubuntu is not Debian. Not by a long shot. Ubuntu is a version of
Debian Unstable, which should never be used on serious work.

> Lets include apulse and also, jackd. And _kick_ pulseaudio alongside
> with systemd.
>
> Honestly, I don't even care anymore about systemd, neither as an
> option, it is impossible to trust on this thing, because of Lennart
> past projects (and obvious, because of systemd terrible / creepy
> architecture). I still open to uselessd + new udev, if it make easier
> to keep compatibility with upstream Debian while we need to keep
> syncing with it. Also, I like the idea of CGroup Process, if uselessd
> can achieve that (i.e, control/isolate process using Linux CGroups),
> then, it is a great thing! There are space for a new Init System and
> systemd is NOT it.

Dropping code because of the dislike one person without making sure that
you can build your entire tree first without it, is not a sensible thing
to do. It is not in the best interests of users.

> Happy new year! :-)

Likewise!