:: [Dng] Device management [WAS: syste…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
A: Jude Nelson, dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: [Dng] Device management [WAS: system scriptinng language.]
On 24.12.2014 06:48, Jude Nelson wrote:

Hi,

(bouncing back to the list for a broader discussion)

> Thanks for your feedback! The "container friendliness" design point
> is intentional, and can certainly be used to give each user/session
> their own /dev instance.

Great. What we now need is a login tool (or PAM module) which puts each
user session into an own namespaces or even container. And we'll need a
meta-config system, which then generates the configs for the individual
instances from a central host configuration. (eg. picking the right
devices that should be given to a particular session).

> I haven't added it yet, but it will be possible to signal a vdev
> instance to reload its configuration (i.e. send it SIGUSR1 or similar).
> Is that what you're getting at? If not, can you flesh out your example
> a bit more?

Yes, triggering a config reload is the first necessary step.
But I can also imagine an 9P-based interface (synthentic filesystem,
just like /proc or /sys) for directly manipulating several settings.
Not sure, whether that's really necessary, but we IMHO should keep that
in mind.

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,