:: [Dng] HowTo Fork Debian - Step-by-S…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martinx - ジェームズ
A: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: [Dng] HowTo Fork Debian - Step-by-Step Guide, need help to achieve it!
Hey Guys!

Before going forward with Devuan, I would like to be able to Fork
Debian by myself.

Why? Because of, let me say, the Scientific Method. I need to
reproduce this entire "Debian fork procedure", so I can contribute
back.

At first, I was thinking about a "draft procedure", like this:

1- Install Debian Jessie;

2- Run:

mkdir debianfork ; cd debianfork

for X in `grep ^Package: /var/lib/apt/lists/*source* | awk '{print $2}'`;
do echo apt-get source $X; done

3- Recompile everything;

4- Make new APT Repo with reprepro;

5- Profit!

But, of course, this seems to be very simpler an it is just a "one
time fork", without any kind of Continuous Integration... But it might
work!

Then, I have a few questions, for example:

1- How Canonical keep syncing with Debian every six months? Will
Devuan follow this "Debian syncing" that Ubuntu does (or something
similar)?

2- "Chicken and Egg" problem: Which package should I compile first?
Libc? Linux? KfreeBSD? *-baseconf ? D-I?

3- I'm seeing that Devuan's first package is `devuan-baseconf` but,
why? Sorry about newbie question... Is there something special about
it?

At first, I was thinking about first, fork entire Debian as-is, then,
start modifying it but, it seems that the first Devuan that we might
see, will be already a modified Debian, am I right?

Do not lose focus, can someone help me with my "Debian Fork
Procedure"? The community deserves to know that, step-by-step.

Best!
Thiago