:: Re: [Dng] configuration management
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Alex 'AdUser' Z
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] configuration management
'ucf' package already does the 'automerge or ask-user-on-fail' task.
The only thing you should do - mark file as config during packaging.

Whole /etc tree in vcs is overkill (this is based on my own experiments
with svn, bare git and etckeeper).

First trouble you will face on this way - no one popular vcs doesn't
handle precisely owner/group and permissions, except 'x' flag. (at least
private ssh/ssl keys, and shadow file needs to be handled with care).

Second thing - vcs can expose your sensitive data with commit history.
Rewriting history to exclude such data if already commited - is bad idea.

P.S.: Not mine, but exactly for this case:
- Hey Alex, what do you think about keeping /etc in git?
- You need this, if your server managed by hundreds of hackers from all
over the world.