:: Re: [Dng] system scriptinng languag…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jude Nelson
Aan: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] system scriptinng language.
Hi T.J., sorry this is late--this thread got lost in my inbox.

Thank you for your feedback regarding GPLv3. My reason for choosing it was
because it explicitly grants an irrevocable patent license to downstream
coders, whereas GPLv2 does not. I would think this would make it more
attractive to them, since there's no way I or my employer could sue them
later for patent infringement. I realize that this license (and as far as
I know, no license) can protect me against patent suits filed against me.

I don't think you're being too harsh or overcritical, but I would like to
hear your thoughts on the specific clauses you oppose beyond the
"additional terms" section. I read that section again, but it doesn't look
like they affect the Four Freedoms--they instead affect related aspects of
software distribution, like warranties, copyright notices, trademarks,
indemnification, etc. I don't see this as a problem per se since it's
outside the scope of software freedoms, but maybe I'm misinterpreting it?
Maybe there's something important I haven't thought of?

I don't want to get into an argument over whether or not copyleft is a net
win or net loss, since I don't have enough real-world data to back either
claim :) However, I don't buy the argument that the GPL is undesirable
because it can demotivate would-be contributors whose hearts were in the
right place (i.e. the company reprimands or fires them if they violate the
GPL). This is because this would happen no matter what the license is--the
company had better be vetting the licenses and ensuring that they're
compliant *before* the code gets included, not after. In fact, I can
imagine that the penalties for violating certain proprietary licenses can
be much harsher than violating the GPL, depending on their terms. However,
it's management's and legal's problem if there are violations, not the
developer's (and frankly, a company that blames its developers for
non-developer problems like licensing is a poorly-managed company in my
opinion).

Now, the GPL can certainly discourage code adoption in proprietary contexts
due to its copyleft terms, but a dual-license would remove that concern,
right? The proprietors would choose the more permissive license.

Thanks,
Jude