著者: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
題目: Re: [Dng] system scriptinng language.
On 17.12.2014 22:10, Jude Nelson wrote:

> * If you're worried about testing and debugging vdev, you'll be pleased
> to know that it can run concurrently with udev, on any mountpoint you
> want. You can even run multiple instances of vdev independently.

*THAT* is a really cool feature. It would also allow unusual setups
like having a separate instance managing eg. a container or chroot
(_outside_ that one).

> There is a HUGE advantage to using FUSE that I think outweighs the
> quirks: you get per-process access control for free, since FUSE tells
> you which task ID issued the request (which vdev uses to query the
> calling process and filter device nodes accordingly). This is much
> simpler than systemd-logind's approach, which has to authenticate the
> calling process itself, open the device file descriptor, and send it to
> the calling process via dbus (thereby requiring the calling process to
> speak dbus and link against systemd-logind's dbus interface).

At that point, we could give each user/session an own /dev instance,
so the processes only see their own device tree (possibly only those
device nodes which are accessible to the user).

By the way: is there already some communication channel to reconfigure
an running instance from the outside ? (eg. if stuff should change on
console changes, etc) If not, maybe we could add somthing 9P based.

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting