:: Re: [Dng] Update from the Veteran U…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] Update from the Veteran Unix Admins
On 23.12.2014 11:34, Jaromil wrote:

Hi,

> I doubt we can "force" any behaviour really. Personally I use also IRC
> for more than asking for help or hanging out, it is very practical and
> if people know how to use it then is less tl;dr than mailinglists. But
> yes there are already a couple of /ignore to be put in place.

I, personally, prefer mailing lists.

> yes. plus there is a wiki in there which is the one we will use for the
> project. Gitlab is pretty neat actually and the VUA hosting it has
> placed it on a very fast server with enough dedicated resources.

Apropos git: do we already have a policy on how to managing the git
sources ?

I'd really prefer having the full source trees and the changes directly
applied as git commits (instead of text patch files), so the git trees
exactly those which are going to be compiled.

Here's some example on how I'm usually doing it:

https://gitorious.org/geeqie/metux-geeqie

For each dist and package version, there's a separate maint branch,
which sits ontop of the corresponding upstream release tag.
In case there're generic changes, used by all dists, I have another
branch hierarchy in between, for cleaner separation.

Here's my build workspace toolkit, which runs everything via
git-buildpackage and pbuilder:

https://github.com/metux/packaging

> the idea right now is to simplify the Debian release structure and have
> only stable and experimental, where experimental will be a staging space
> for solutions.

Assuming, we're always sitting ontop of Debian releases (not doing
a fully own repo), I'd suggest having a stable and experimental repo
for each Debian release (of those which we're supporting).

In the end, I hope, someday, our packages will finally go into Debian,
but that yet has to be seen.

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,