:: Re: [Dng] Update from the Veteran U…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jaromil
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Update from the Veteran Unix Admins

dear Aldemir,

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Aldemir Akpinar wrote:

>    On 22 December 2014 at 19:26, Jaromil <[1]jaromil@???> wrote:

>      Dear Init Freedom lovers,

>      Once again the Veteran Unix Admin collective salutes you!

>      <snip>

>    Thanks for the updates, it's delightful to hear that things are
>    happening.

Yes, I can imagine a hyatus of 1 month is ahead before the next update.
We can expect a lot of things will happen in the meantime: VUAs involved
are re-organizing their work commitments to dedicate more time to
Devuan, in particular Franco who is our de-fact project leader.

>     On the mailing list we didn't have any discussions about these
>    updates like loginkitd or consolekit2 etc. So I'm getting the
>    impression that, main discussion about this project is on IRC? My
>    complaint is that following IRC conversations takes too much time
>    and attention. However I can follow mailing list conversation in a
>    time which is more suitable and when I don't have much in my mind.
>    Can we at least make the mailing lists main discussion medium? IRC
>    is more needed when you need to get hold of someone to get help or
>    info asap?

I doubt we can "force" any behaviour really. Personally I use also IRC
for more than asking for help or hanging out, it is very practical and
if people know how to use it then is less tl;dr than mailinglists. But
yes there are already a couple of /ignore to be put in place.

We can fight fragmentation with tools and most important updates (like
the weekly newsletter) and information routing. I think we are quite
lucky with the devuan-ops irc crew, bots are already in place so maybe
even a page with logged links flowing through the channels can be
useful. To make this update for instance I do a lot of awk'ing through
them. No need to be there all the time if you are good at reading
backlogs (/lastlog in irssi helps a lot).

>    Also someone promised to split the lists, is it going to happen as
>    well?

yes. its my first next task to setup a new separate vps with devuan
running mailman and lurker, then we'll have lists.devuan.org and I guess
we can start creating language based lists, then context based. If
anyone has the time to sketch possible lists organization please do,
however I'd rather grow it "LEAN" as the need and request comes by.

Initially we had an offer to host lists by a VUA, but he cannot give
root access to his machine, so we need a new one because the lists
machine should be way more open to participation, with a few ml-ops to
handle the request and facilitate creation of lists.

>    My last question is,will you be moving these projects like
>    consolekit2 etc,, to [2]git.devuan.org?

yes. plus there is a wiki in there which is the one we will use for the
project. Gitlab is pretty neat actually and the VUA hosting it has
placed it on a very fast server with enough dedicated resources.

the idea right now is to simplify the Debian release structure and have
only stable and experimental, where experimental will be a staging space
for solutions.

Franco is already busy documenting things on wikis. We also have a draft
"constitution" going, with a lot inherited from Debian, but this will
take more time to fix in stone and I'd love to get some expert review
from political scientists and ethnographists who can analyze present
problems in the Debian process and try to improve the rules of the game.

ciao