:: Re: [Dng] Study
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Study
Hi T.J.,

> I've a strong dislike for any language that forces you to use any form of

GC over manual release. GC is sloppy, habit forming, and generally a bad
design paradigm. I'd rather have the compiler flag it, and refuse to
compile.

Yeah, finer-grained GC control would be good. An "UNSAFE" keyword like
Hendrik pointed out would be a welcome. Also, the ability to control when
and how often the GC gets invoked, and perhaps some static analysis tool
that helps make sure that the GC gets invoked at appropriate intervals
along all code paths, would make it less painful.

I should point out at this time that my knowledge of GC implementations
isn't particularly deep, so maybe these features (or equivalents) already
exist somewhere and I just don't know it :) I know that Modula-3 and
Oberon both have GCs, and complete operating systems have been written in
them, so I suspect that there's an ars arcanum to using them effectively
for systems-level projects (maybe it involves tastefully turning the GC off
in some places?). I'd be curious to know if there's a "lessons learned"
write-up somewhere as to what it takes to make GCs work well in this
context, or a "lessons learned" that explains why these languages' GCs
aren't commonly used today (maybe there are some obscure cases they don't
handle well, for example).

I'm looking forward to seeing the Rust developers' take on this, once they
reach 1.0.

> Regardless of whether it is opensource or not, patents and other rights

can be asserted against the language, and thus against you or anyone else
using it.

These are all excellent points. I hadn't taken a look at the licensing
text myself, but a lack of an irrevocable patent license is cause for
concern.

-Jude