:: Re: [Dng] Study
Página Inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
Para: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng
Novos Tópicos: [Dng] garbage collection
Assunto: Re: [Dng] Study
Hi T.J.,

Sorry for the terse reply at first; I didn't have a lot of time to look at
it in great detail (I've only read the first few sections and conclusion so
far). I must also confess that my domain of expertise is in distributed
computing, not programming languages, so please take my thoughts on this
work with a grain of salt :)

If I understood correctly, the researchers created and evaluated a hybrid
static analysis/runtime verification technique (a compensation stack) that
allows a program to guarantee certain safety properties regarding resource
usages. They focus specifically on exceptional cases where resource
availability changes due to external factors beyond the program's control
(such as disk I/O failing, or a network partition occurring). From a
practical standpoint, the system focuses on ease of use: the developer
writes a safety policy and declares which (supported) resources a set of
methods can access, and the compiler ensures that the resulting program
exhibits behavior consistent with the policy.

I would totally use a system like this for distributed systems
programming. I read a paper a while back that suggested that major errors
in popular distributed systems come from not handling certain exceptions
correctly [1]. It would be interesting to see what percentage of these
errors would be handled by the technique presented here, and I suspect this
technique would go a long way toward mitigating them.

Personally, I try to avoid exception-handling altogether when possible in
favor of plain old C-style error codes. I don't like how the non-local
nature of exception handling can allow an uncaught exception to propagate
through the call stack and get caught (and incorrectly handled) somewhere
else. As such, I make it a habit to encapsulate all "unsafe"
(exception-generating) behaviors like I/O into their own methods with
catch-all exception handlers to keep their side-effects isolated and easy
to reason about, and I try to do all unsafe behavior in one "big step" so
the program can fail fast before taking any partial actions on it (heh,
maybe one day I'll go full FP).

I'm not really a fan of garbage collection for system-level code (I just
use valgrind instead to catch leaks early and often), but can .NET actually
leak memory? What's the point of it having a garbage collector then? Heh,
good thing the CLI got open-sourced--at least we can fix it if so!

Best,
-Jude

[1]
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/osdi14/osdi14-paper-yuan.pdf