著者: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
題目: Re: [Dng] system scriptinng language.
On 16.12.2014 22:25, T.J. Duchene wrote:

>> What would you suggest as udev replacement ?
>
> From a practical standpoint, I wouldn't, at least for the present time.
> At the moment, udev is still maintained (within the systemd source tree)
> as far as I am aware, so there is no reason to fork udev.

There already is one: having a clean codebase, which builds fine,
out of the box, without any additional magic, patching, etc whatsoever.

> That might change overnight if kdus gets merged into the kernel source.
> I do not think that has happened as of yet.

Even if kdus would get in, within next or overnext merge window,
it would be extremly dumb for udev to depend on that, at it would
require very kernel - not usable for any long term support or even
embedded systems.

OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd really be that dumb
(or arrogant)

> I can tell you with reasonable certainty that Gentoo forked udev into
> eudev some time ago, although I am not currently privy to their
> reasoning as to why or how well maintained it is. I'd have to do some
> research.

Please keep us informed, if you learn anything new on that front.
If its in a good shape, lets package it for devuan.

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting