:: Re: [Dng] No, the majority doesn't …
Góra strony
Autor: Martinx - ジェームズ
Dla: dng@lists.dyne.org
Temat: Re: [Dng] No, the majority doesn't knows. Long life to the Scientific Method!
On 14 December 2014 at 22:48, Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@???> wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I'm wondering here... Who the hell told that the majority better knows
> which path is the way to go? This is wrong, very wrong.
>
> Every time you see yourself at the majority's side, you must take a
> step back and think about your position with extreme care, for real.
> Democracy is the original attack of the 51%, against the 49%. The
> needs of the many DOES NOT outweigh the needs of the few. This kind of
> thinking make me sick.
>
> Please guys, don't take me wrong, but voting isn't a good decision
> making tool. It stinks.
>
> And it is even worse, when the majority is ignorant. No, I'm not
> talking about Debian Developers, I'm talking about the country I was
> born, so called "Brazil". Here, democracy does NOT work. Since 95% of
> brazilian people are just a bunch of scumbags (that one that can not
> even be used as a fertilizer, they are just useless). Sorry about the
> bad words, but, that is the truth. Sad, but true.
>
> So, democracy doesn't work when the majority sucks. But it might work
> when the majority have education and knowledge. Nevertheless, I still
> think that we can not make decisions by voting.
>
> And here comes the Scientific Method! By far, this is the best tool I
> know to figure out which path is a better way to go. We need to test
> and test almost all of the alternatives and then, make a decision
> based on observation, based on a "real world" results.
>
> We need to be able to reproduce everything! Every single procedure
> must be reproductible, since its creation.
>

> For example: How to fork Debian?
>
> This is something that needs to be very well documented. Step by step,
> then, we can test it millions of times, until it becomes perfect...
> And this is just an example... That I would like to talk in a
> dedicated thread later.
>

> Lets use the science to help us make better decisions?!
>
> Lets not make decisions based on "administrative shit"? I mean, Devuan
> can not use
> "administrative decision making". Like this:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/11/msg00534.html
>
> I wish for Devuan: technical sanity.
>
> Crossing finger to see Joey joining us!
>
> Nevertheless, I still believe that constitutions and technical
> committees are good in some level but, it can not be "top down".
> Today, for example, Debian Technical Committee totaly lost its
> purpose, and it is very ugly, they think the are "the boss" (or
> something like that, which sucks). We can not do the same mistakes
> Debian is doing. Otherwise, we'll become what Debian is today, really
> fast.
>
> What do you guys think about this?
>
> Cheers!
> Thiago

BTW, I would like to put one more point into this subject:

Linus is the Linux's technical leader, he is almost a benevolent
dictator. And Linux is one of the most amazing projects of our time! I
trust him, I know him personally, we drink a caipirinha here in Sao
Paulo few years ago, he is an amazing human being!

I know that these days, Linus almost never write codes, he just lead,
like an orchestral conductor... And Linux development follows a stable
line.

I'm not saying that Devuan should have a leader, no, but instead, we
need to figure out a better tool / procedure / whatever, for decision
making, that does not involves voting.

Best!
Thiago