:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Inizio della pagina
Autore: t.j.duchene
To: neismark@gmx.de
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"

Stephan Seitz wrote (Sat, 6 Dec 2014 23:48:48 +0100):
> Interestingly the kernel source will provide you with this firmware.
> If you get the kernel source and compile your own kernel you will
> have the necessary firmware on your system.

In most cases, yes. However, interestingly I’ve noted that when I have built custom kernels on Debian, I still required firmware packages from non-free to get the open Radeon drivers working properly. I’ve not investigated if that is just a Debian-ism or if the BARTS firmware is for some reason not part of the kernel source tree, although I suspect it is the latter case.

>I'd rather stick with a Devuan that actually can be used in a
>professional environment; I think we agree here.

I second that.

A lot of the new hardware simply does not work without binary firmware. That’s not something we can change. It is a reality of the market. A lot of the hardware makers would like to do completely open drivers, but most cross license patents, and legally cannot disclose the code under those conditions.

Any Linux that does not have that binary firmware accessible “out of the box” is pretty much relegated to obscurity. Unfortunately, having it means that the FSF will not give an endorsement. The only way around it that I can see is a kernel that boots the machine, scans the PCI list and then hopefully can download the needed firmware on request. Personally, I do not see it as a worth the effort. A lot of the wireless networking hardware requires blobs and if they aren’t on the install disc, you aren’t going to get Internet access.