:: Re: [Dng] Any jessie wm without sys…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Christoph Lechleitner
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Any jessie wm without systemd dependency?
Am 2014-12-09 um 16:32 schrieb Christoph Lechleitner:

> Unfortunately, even xfce4 depends on systemd,

... or so I thought in the first place.

To set the record straight:

xfce4 does NOT really depend on systemd.

I'm not entirely sure what has happened this afternoon, but I assume the
unfortunate setting
APT::Install-Recommends "true";
in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic triggered multiple domino effects,
adding up to the package removal avalanche I was threatened with.

For the time beeing I can keep my Xfce4 window manager.

> so I'm searching for
> another window manager.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

openbox looks like a nice very-lightweight-but-just-fancy-enough wm,
well suited for old laptops and the like.

Regarding display managers, gdm3 really depends on libpam-systemd and
subsequently systemd.

That's no problem though, apart from a straight-forward "startx" there
are also several other display managers available:
apt-cache showpkg x-display-manager

My current favourite is "slim".

Anyone interested in my entire way to "Jessie without SystemD" is
welcome to read my "SystemD evation notes (for Debian users)":
https://confluence.clazzes.org/x/EYCO

These notes will grow over time, but rather slow - I don't exit my
extensive X11 sessions voluntarily, not on my two main desktop machines
anyway ;-)

Regards, Christoph