:: Re: [Dng] Release Names
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Vince Mulhollon
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Release Names
On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Noel Torres <envite@???> wrote:

> I've been thinking on this as well, and I think we should use names that we
> can be proud of, as Unix admins.
>
> Ullman, Jeffrey

I took his automata class just a few years ago, also the videos are online
and the MOOC, I think coursera. I checked and he's quite alive. He's a
good teacher!

The naval standard of not naming ships after living people (with like 1
exception in the history of the navy...) would be a good idea IF
distributions are given people's names. Lets hope its a long time before
"Ullman" or "Knuth" are released.d

I have a better idea, in that names mostly seem to confuse everyone outside
the project... just assume we'll never emit more than one a year and call
it the 2015 model year instead of jessie. That would lower the cognitive
load an make almost everyone happier.

I don't think there's anything wrong with dedicating a release to devs /
engineers / programmers / whoever that died since the last release. Just
don't use it as the name.