:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Pàgina inicial
Autor: hellekin
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
On 12/06/2014 09:41 PM, Vlad wrote:

> Closed source Firmware should be provided IMO, if no good alternatives
> exist, but we should also make sure the user is notified of the fact
> that he will need closed source binary blobs and prompted if wants to
> proceed with the installation.

*** A good compromise would be for the installer to probe the hardware
and detect whether or not it requires non-free firmware to run, and then
provide some options:

1. Install the firmware once and for all

2. Install the firmware and watch for updates (i.e. with suitable
Apt-Pinning)

3. Support non-free repository (not recommended)

That seems to me a suitable option to detect hardware and install
support for non-free blobs GIVEN EXPLICIT CONSENT of the user. It
allows to have a workable distribution whatever the hardware kludge,
without promoting such usage, and even discouraging it, but still offer
the option.

Kernel optimization already works for ( ) generic, or (x) optimized for
my hardware, so it would be nice to help document
non-free-software-friendly architecture in a consistent way, so that
individuals and organization can make an informed choice when buying new
hardware. Automated contributions to h-node.org would be *awesome* in
that regard, and would certainly help hardware manufacturers to become
more friendly. Or not. But well.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/