:: Re: [Dng] Is forking enough?
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jonathan Wilkes
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: hellekin, dng@lists.dyne.org
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] Is forking enough?
Richard Stallman is many things, but coy is _not_ one of them.  If he had a ethical objection to systemd he would have stated it.
Best,Jonathan

*** Chris, prior to sending this email from rms, you wrote:

>> After emailing RMS apparently he seems quite happy with systemd
>> taking over the Linux user land and not only that he "never
>> really agreed with the Unix philosophy" in any case.

I do not interpret rms' email above and "being happy with systemd taking
over the Linux user land".  What I understand, is that the GNU system is
vaster and certainly more important than the orientation of a temple
inside it.  Therefore, he promotes diversity, like Devuan does.  What
you need to read instead of him supporting systemd, is him telling you:
if you're not happy with what you have, build your own.  That is exactly
what he's done with the GNU system.

To me that is far from endorsement of systemd.  I guess he has other
things to do than exploring the implications of systemd.  It's a good
thing that the VUA collective is doing it instead, and willing to care
for it, because free software is not a one-man operation.

"Doing one thing and do it well" all depends on what "thing" you
consider.  Systemd certainly does not follow that convention, and Emacs
neither, except if you consider that the thing they do well is
responding to their author's computing needs--one could write an entire
series of Informational RFCs to explain what that means.  Devuan could
as well init from UEFI straight into Emacs, and then we'd all LISP
things out.  A diversity of approaches does not hurt, on the contrary,
it's the nature of life and evolution.  Reducing the possibilities of
diversity is the problem, not systemd--that is the symptom, diversity is
the cure, and Devuan is part of the cure.

==
hk

--
_ _    We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/