:: Re: [Dng] Devuan Logo
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Dmitry Yu Okunev
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Devuan Logo
Hello.

On 12/02/2014 09:08 AM, Francesco Il Parente wrote:

> I propose FreeStar name

Sorry for my language skills, I'm Russian and English is not my native
language. Nevertheless _IMHO_:

Firstly, you shouldn't mention Linux in the name of the project (e.g.
"DebLin"). It's a lock-in on Linux kernel. So it should be used "Lin" in
the name.

Secondly, you should respect history of Debian, so the name should
reflect this aspect. For example, the ending "ian" can be used to
emphasize this.

Thirdly, the name shouldn't conflict with "Debian" (like "Debian
Classic"). I'd prefer don't to use "deb" in the name at all.

Fourthly, if I understood correctly, the aim of the project is to be
Debian, but with preserving the free of choice in technical meaning (not
only in juridical). So the name should reflect this, too. So obvious
name parts are "free"/"libre"/"lib"/etc. Also the free of choice can be
associated with abstract good ("nice"/"cute"/"pureness"/etc). Also other
languages can be used ("bona"/"gratuit"/ etc).

It's not my variants, but just few examples of more appropriate name for
such project (IMHO):
- Netian (combination of "net" means "network" and "net" means
pure/clean, but sounds not good enough)
- Drivian ("driven" in meaning of "controllable")
- Ian (simple, concisely and respectful to both Ians [Jackson and Murdock])

I think you should think in this direction :)

Best regards, Dmitry.