:: Re: [Dng] Graphical identy, logo, e…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jaromil
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] Graphical identy, logo, etc.

dear Jordan,

Thanks for your input, it looks well thought and valuable. The VUA in
charge of the new website is planning to contact you to work together on
this.

I also have a little contribution on the logo front, won't really follow
up much on it, but I enjoyed dusting some books at home thinking of it.

This is it:

https://j.dyne.org/cytherea.jpg

It is an illustration by Ernst Haeckel made more than a 100 years ago in
his "Kunstformen der Natur" published in 1904 in Leipzig and Vienna and
therefore not covered by copyright. This image is present in "Tafel 55"
illustrating bivalved mollusks and clams.

I like this form because it recalls the spiraling movement of Debian's
logo somehow, it is dual, still its not a form that breaks the
counterpart (as we will not) and its a shell, which is a pretty old
school thing to refer to in UNIX terms.

On another note: today I had a nice talk with an old friend and DD. Him
and many other reasonable people in Debian I keep reading sees our
iniative as a resource and not as a problem, as we are representing an
alternative course to the daring choice of allowing systemd to crawl all
across Debian. Like putting eggs in mode than a single basket, this may
come useful to Debian in certain future scenarios as well. Hence the
change from the "fork" metaphore to a clam that becomes even more solid
by being bivalved.

ciao

--
Jaromil, Dyne.org Free Software Foundry (est. 2000)
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom