:: Re: [Dng] How to start working?
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Ian Zimmerman
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] How to start working?
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:48:36 -0700,
Bob Proulx <bob@???> wrote:

Hi Bob. Nice to meet you again :)

Ian> funny you mention Emacs. I have to maintain a private source
Ian> package because the Debian one depends on libgconf, and has done so
Ian> for a long time. I believe that pulls in the rest of the core
Ian> Gnome libraries, and thus will almost certainly pull in systemd ...

Bob> I have emacs installed without systemd. While libgconf is a GTK+
Bob> artifact it doesn't lead to a hard require on systemd. At this
Bob> time I wouldn't think forking emacs for this reason would be
Bob> necessary.

Good to hear that.

Bob> Concerning libgconf, have you considered the emacs24-lucid package
Bob> instead? It doesn't use the GTK+ libraries.

Yes. I have done that for a time, too. But it has other disadvantages.

Bob> I hesitate to mention that emacs does pull in and somewhat require
Bob> libdbus to operate. Which is annoying. This is drift from the
Bob> original topic but with some effort it is possible to operate stock
Bob> Debian emacs without dbus installed.

I agree that this is no longer strictly on topic here, except maybe in
the general sense: if more packages come to depend on a major desktop
environment, the danger (so to speak) of a systemd dependency increases,
too.