:: Re: [Dng] I want systemd
Página Inicial
Autor: Miles Fidelman
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [Dng] I want systemd
Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 05:31:10PM -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> On 11/30/2014 05:03 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
>>> doesn't imply any ill will
>> not, that is not accurate nor useful. Ill-will towards it is the point.
> I'll have to disagree, and quite strongly.
>
> I don't like a number of things about systemd: it's design, it's lack of
> formal specifications for several components, its implementation or the
> attitude of some of its maintainers. I don't hate it. There are even
> some selected aspects of its design and implementation that I do like.
> But I don't want to use it. But I'll emphasise that I don't hate it.
>
> To make a poor analogy: I like using vim and emacs for editing code.
> I don't like gedit. But I don't hate gedit. I simply choose not to
> install it or use it. I have no ill will towards it or its developers.

Agree with you on all points, except, perhaps, "ill-will towards it's
developers."

Given their intent to remake Linux in their image:
http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

their everyone else be damned attitude:
"Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus as
transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace netlink-based
tranport udev used so far. Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."
(Lennart Poettering,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html)

and their general propensity for breaking things, leading to reactions
from no less than Linus Torvalds:
"Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the
code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the
problems you cause.
Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code
from Kay into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed."
(http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1404.0/01331.html)

Maybe just a little ill-will toward it's developers is well deserved, as
a response to their ill-will toward the rest of us.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra