:: [Dng] Free software, free tools -- …
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: fr33domlover
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: [Dng] Free software, free tools -- git server and wiki
Hello everyone,

tl;dr    Who wants to participate in a GitLab instance (first just read-only
mirrors), especially if you have a server available (my best option is to rent
a VPS)? Also, where's the official wiki if exists (without-systemd.org seems
unused)?

The issue of G1thub being nonfree and centralized and all those bad things
Debian helps solve has already been discussed a lot, so I won't repeat the
details.

Since the "wiki" isn't being used (in favor of g1thub issues) and all
the repos are there too, there will soon be a large base of code and wiki pages
etc. which will become harder and harder to move to somewhere else... it has
been suggested that at least read-only mirrors are launched for all the git
repos, as a first step to migrate (while it's still painless). If you really
want, g1thu8 mirrors can exist to attract all the users from there.

So straight to the point, here's the idea: Choose a reasonable self-hosted
server, install GitLab on it and write a cron job that mirros all the git repos
into GitLab periodically (should be very simple).

I could probably handle the installation, configurationfr33domlover
PGP key ID: 63E5E57D
o------------------------------------------------------------------------------o
Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument
instead!
<https://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/>
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
o------------------------------------------------------------------------------o
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at
<https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm>
and small admin tasks,
but I don't have a server. I realize some people here have access to servers,
which is great. Does anyone want to take part in such a GitLab instance? It
will need to ba made anyway eventually - better start early (there are enough
people here offering help - some can do coding, some can do admin work, some
can do packaging... it shouldn't hurt the main effort to finish the POC).

Another question - is the wiki going to be active? Tons of info on this ML can
be organized much better in collaborative editing style, in the same manner as
Debian's MoinMoin instance does. But the without-system.org wiki seems to be
unused and personally I avoid g1thub (for all the reasons discussed in the
g1thub issues and on IRC etc. many times) so I can't even contribute any
thoughts there. And the issues aren't really a wiki of course - so I think
there should be a clear definition of where the wiki is. Should I use
without-systemd.org? Or you want a g1thub wiki? Or a MoinMoin instance?

I hope I'm not distracting anyone/anything from the main effort - I'm just so
busy right now (unfortunately with much more boring things) I don't think I
focus on coding or packaging until my schedule calms down. But otherwise it
will be a pleasure to help with coding/porting/liberating too (especially
C/C++).

fr33domlover
PGP key ID: 63E5E57D