:: Re: [Dng] Fwd: Re: eudev (Was: usef…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Roger Leigh
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Fwd: Re: eudev (Was: useful blog post)
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 05:52:32PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> chris wrote:
> >

> >If you're specifically NOT using systemd why would you want systemd-udev ?
> >( or for that matter anything systemd-* )
> >
> >On Gentoo I use eudev and everything compiles happily, looking at
> >the source tree for eudev it seems to have its own version of
> >libudev (https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/tree/master/src/libudev)
> >- unless I'm missing something whats the problem with using eudev
> >?
> >

> Maybe a silly thought, but...
>
> The main distinguishing feature of Debian is its tool chain (apt, in
> particular). Maybe the most direct route forward is to start with
> the Gentoo repositories and auto-generate .deb binary packages from
> the source ports - yielding a complete, systemd-free, apt-packaged
> distro.

If you look at current FreeBSD with pkgng, it's doing exactly this with
its ports tree. If you build from a port it creates a package and
installs that, so you can then uninstall, upgrade etc. using the pkg
tool, and also freely intermix prebuilt binaries with handbuilt ports
and have it handle all the interdependencies. Doing the same thing
but generating a .deb with the proper dependency info is certainly
doable. It can even be done without involving the existing archive.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh