:: Re: [Dng] eudev (Was: useful blog p…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Ruben Safir
Aan: Matteo Panella
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] eudev (Was: useful blog post)
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 07:34:37PM +0100, Matteo Panella wrote:
> On 29/11/2014 18:28, Haines Brown wrote:
> > While I'm at it, I'd also like to see udev cease being default and
> > replaced by eudev. I'm interested in people's thoughts about this.
>

> The bad part is ensuring ABI-compatibility for libudev and libgudev.
> Both have a *massive* amount of rdeps, and if ABI-compatibility cannot
> be assured all rdeps must be rebuilt. That's not easy.

of couse

And one of the first orders of business should be to split off of udev
ASAP, get the painful poart over, and never look back.

> The ugly part is coexistence in the archive: simply put, you can't have
> both without rewriting the control file for all rdeps or introducing an
> insane number of metapackages _in the main Debian archive_ (I guess
> ftpmaster would have a thing or two to say about it...).
>
> The last part is controversial, because if Devuan adopts eudev it would
> have to effectively mask out systemd-udev by shipping packages with the
> same names but higher priority, negating the freedom of choice to end
> users (quite ironic, isn't it?).

No, it is ironic only that one might confuse the problem between freedom
of software and freedom of users. Users need freedom, Software does
not. Complaining about this is no different then complaining that
Microsoft Office and the Exchange Server is not ported to GNU/Linux. I
don't expect them to be and frankly I don't want them to be. I have no
envy of MS or DingoOS. I just don't want to use them.

> Again, this cannot be avoided: it's either one implementation or the other.

That is going to be the theme of the next 5 years if you are serious
about a real fork.

> (and that's the reason every ITP for eudev usually becomes stale after
> some time: you need cooperation from udev maintainers,

Yup and that needs to change ASAP.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com