Til: System undo crew
Emne: Re: [unSYSTEM] Urbit: a personal cloud computer
On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Nicolas Mendoza <nicolasmendo@???> wrote:
> This is very UnSystem:
>
> "The user of the future will fly her own computer. She will own and control
> her own identity and her own data. She will even host her own apps. She will
> not be part of someone else's Big Data. She will be her own Little Data.
> Unless she's a really severe geek, she will pay some service to store and
> execute her Urbit ship - but she can move it anywhere else, anytime, for the
> cost of the bandwidth.

It looks interesting, and beyond-the-looking-glass weird, but I have a
very hard time taking it seriously.

Is it not very much like a command-line minecraft with a healthy dose
of computer science? Still good for education, if it could be brought
as a playful introduction into functional programming concepts, but I
have a hard time visualizing this as the cloud platform of the future.

Wladimir