:: Re: [Libbitcoin] git flow, versioni…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Eric Voskuil
Aan: libbitcoin
Onderwerp: Re: [Libbitcoin] git flow, versioning, roadmap details
It's no longer a question of work, it's a feasibility/quality issue.
Changes in released code that break either dependent builds or wire
protocol must be clearly isolated. Package version number increments
can't resolve these issues. Forced upgrade is survivable as long as we
aren't introducing breaks. But this is specifically what we are dealing
with.

There's really no advantage of a tarball over a branch. A branch is
easier to maintain and exposes a web presence for documentation and any
ongoing patches, issues, etc. A good example is
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin, which maintains branches for each
"release". Tarballs can then be created from released branches, but
there's not much additional utility for that effort.

I'm not in favor of forcing breaking changes on the community on the
instant of their release. That is not feasible for a distributed
client-server system that takes time to deploy, integrate with, and gain
acceptance. This approach would result in the coupling of clients and
dedicated servers in order to prevent breaks, fracturing any potential
for widespread community services.

Creating a release branch is a very simple means of deprecating (vs.
obsoleting). It still allows everyone who's ready to move on to the new
branch immediately and requires almost no effort to create (and if
desired maintain) past releases. As such there's really no downside to
this approach. Notice that bitcoind is managed in this same manner:
https://github.com/bitcoin