:: Re: [unSYSTEM] "Bitcoin is (or will…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Washington Sanchez
Aan: System undo crew
Onderwerp: Re: [unSYSTEM] "Bitcoin is (or will not be) NOT cheaper than Credits Cards? Let's have discussion."
This quote doesn't take into account the expected deflationary effect
bitcoin will bring. An ever increasing supply of goods and services will
need to compete for a fixed (and slightly diminishing) supply of bitcoin,
which will cause the price of these goods and services to fall relative to
bitcoin, and thus increasing the value of each marginal bitcoin in the
future. It's not just the speculative exchange rate that the miners are
considering, playing the game of the greater fool like this article subtly
hints at (unsurprising as a central bank doesn't understand deflation). The
critical component of this economic calculation in the eyes of the
entrepreneur (ie the miner) is the time scale they are operating under. A
$25 cost to mine 50 bitcoin when the price was $0.1/BTC seemed stupid and
economically irrational a few years ago, but now looks like a genius move
and trivial investment.

Personally, I'm also fully convinced that transaction fees will be more
than sufficient to operate as an incentive after the block reward
diminishes. Actually I wouldn't be surprised fees overtake the block reward
within the next 3 years, especially if the block size is increasing.
Increased adoption also means more transaction, more fees, which will bring
drive the fees towards the marginal cost of mining. Even if it never
reaches that level, or surpasses it, the deflationary effect on the bitcoin
price will recover any losses in the present term over X period of time.