:: [unSYSTEM] MAINSTREAM MAINSTREAM MA…
Góra strony
Autor: Amir Taaki
Dla: System undo crew
Temat: [unSYSTEM] MAINSTREAM MAINSTREAM MAINSTREAM
http://banksworstfear.com/entire-population-caribbean-country-dominica-receiving-free-bitcoins-early-2015-let-bit-drop/

“Our goal is to create the world’s largest and highest density Bitcoin
community on the planet.”
I'm impressed (not really).

"We believe this event will be a big jumpstart to bitcoin adoption
worldwide. Like the spark Overstock.com had when it became the first
major retailer to accept the cryptocurrency, “The Bit Drop” could shave
off multiple years of the time it would have taken to get mass bitcoin
adoption otherwise."

Look at this language, it's the same mindset that is leading people to
compromise on Bitcoin's integrity and make faustian bargains at any and
all cost to get "the mainstream onboard".
I thought Bitcoin is cool because it's interesting, I don't see why
people want to make it boring (Gavin Andresen: "I hope in 10 years that
Bitcoin is really boring.").
We are not dispassionate engineers, we are thinking creative people
challenging the machine.
This kind of attitude, and the illusion of credibility hides underneath
an over-eagerness to push push push without any substance. Instead of
being conservative, pulling back, weeding our gardens and thinking long
term about the possibilities, there's a push from devs + others who want
to add their pet projects to Bitcoin to empower Bitcoin the "payments
innovation", especially with all the mainstream talk and big companies
behind them.

Of course when I point out this subtle form of corruption, I get called
a conspiracy theorist spreading crackpot allegations. But it's
completely true, the devs who push for cheaper transactions, payments
protocols, raising the blocksize limit... these are all things that
benefit Bitcoin the payment innovation at the expense of
decentralisation often with little regard to privacy. Everybody has an
agenda, and it's impossible to be independent and neutral- especially if
your friends are in corporations and you are paid by corporations or the
foundation.

Bitcoin itself changes, and we need to be very careful and guarded to
preserve it as a free and open system for all. The "market decides" is a
false excuse for inaction as the market is skewed by large powerful
players using their massive resources gained through a rigged system to
further enclose and coopt Bitcoin under its system of control. It even
happens from ourselves when we aid regulators (instead of resisting or
opposing them), to when we hide or guard our words through fear of
social retribution/ostracism (see renaming DarkMarket to OpenBazaar)
which is how the whole democratic capitalist system absorbs and coopts
culture and movements.

It's not only the technology that matters, but the narrative too. Both
are married together. History is written by the victor. This article is
the finest example:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/527051/the-man-who-really-built-bitcoin/
Translation: we are dispassionate engineers, fine-tuning the system to
perfection. We have the credibility and respectability.
"After the transaction issue is resolved, the work of looking after its
code will increasingly be a job for caretakers, not master builders, he
[Gavin] says."
http://www.coindesk.com/bridging-talent-gap-bitcoin-industry/
“We want highly skilled, hard working people that are fans of bitcoin as
a technology, and perhaps less as a movement – you need to be able to
separate business from politics if you want to operate in the highly
regulatory space of financial services.”

I've had so many businessmen who propose to me joint-ventures but in
actual fact just want to own me as a programmer, not have an autonomous
individual to work with. Or try to get me to make my work proprietary so
they can profit off it telling me "we need to own something". (this is
why I appreciate Cody, who's the first in Bitcoin to actually want to
help me)

This kind of mindset is what is pushing this whole line. It's a way of
downplaying Bitcoin's political narrative, enable firms to work with the
existing system, reduce the role of autonomous creative developers to
rational methodical engineers, make Bitcoin appeal more to big finance
types and paper over the cracks in the financial system... they just
have got to wrestle this new plaything away from those crazy anarchists.

And this is dangerous because Bitcoin is not trustless, it is consensus
based system of all the participants acting within that. Everyone is
equal but some are more equal than others.