:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Reputation based cur…
Góra strony
Autor: Caleb James DeLisle
Dla: System undo crew
Temat: Re: [unSYSTEM] Reputation based currency?
I seem to have -trol- err triggered a rather interesting discussion.
It seems that there is no real *distributed* reputation based currency,
just the Hirsch index, PageRank and a zillion different websites with
their own walled garden reputation systems. Of course one must not forget
Nanotube's own OTC. I have a feeling this is important and should be
considered at some point in the future.

On the topic of your mail Julia, the scenarios are quite interesting.
Although with the assumption of absolute knowledge, these scenarios are
very difficult to rectify, once one accepts that their knowledge is by
definition incomplete and much of it is incorrect, their intractability
becomes less threatening.

In the Fritzl example, killing the children might have been possible, and
perhaps it would have lead to a better result, but according to wikipedia,
one of those very children proved Josef's undoing. Without her, the pain
may have continued indefinitely and the world might never have learned
the meaning of Austrian Paternalism. The key point is that since
information is always scarce, decisions made on a rational basis will often
be less utilitarian (which in this case means less "good") than decisions
based at least partially on intuition.

And one must not forget the Tao of Doing Nothing. Pushing a fat man onto
the tracks would be mighty embarrassing if it should turn out that the
trolley is not on the same track, or that the people tied down are manikins
in a film shoot.

My personal feeling is that there is no way to judge aggression objectively,
it is based on intent, or even below intent, the emotions which give rise
to an action. One who acts out of love and joy may do the exact same things
as one who acts out of fear, but (in my opinion and I'm prepared to be hear
evidence to the contrary) the morality of those actions is different.

``Be careful of absolutes. They may blow up in your face.''

Good quote.