:: Re: [unSYSTEM] circle and others pu…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Troy Benjegerdes
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: System undo crew
Αντικείμενο: Re: [unSYSTEM] circle and others pushing for change to "governance model of bitcoin"?
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 04:56:17PM +0000, Justus Ranvier wrote:
> On 07/24/2014 03:57 PM, Wladimir wrote:
> > What the hell do the developers have to do with legislation?
>
> Some developers are paid from an organization that is also lobbying.
>
> As long as there is a single group of individuals, working on a single
> codebase that is considered the "reference implementation", that group
> will be targeted for infiltration and those who don't collaborate will
> be at risk of blackmail/extortion.
>
> The reason I have more trust in the Conformal group is because they were
> a pre-existing team and so the chances of them being infiltrated by bad
> actors is lower, especially since they don't purport to be "the" core
> development team.
>
> It's actually in the best interest of all honest contributors to Bitcoin
> Core to have that project knocked down a peg, because it reduces their
> personal risk profile.
>
> That's all general though. The specific reason I don't trust Bitcoin
> Core is because I've seen too many examples of alternate implementations
> being blocked through action or inaction.

I should probably do some rebranding and clean-up, but the Catoshi codecoin
client supports Catcoin, and the same source base can build binaries that
are at least capable of downloading the Solarcoin and Urocoin blockchains.

https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin

It is a fork of Catcoin, re-licensed under AGPLv3, and forked from the
Bitcoin-core 0.8 series before the pre-trojaned 'payment protocol' was added.

If anyone would like the Catoshi client as an alternative on the Bitcoin
blockchain, I will be happy to supply electricity if you can supply enough
mining hardware to get a block once or twice a week.

Commercial (aka, GPL exception) licenses are also available with a professional
services support contract. (Please be aware that a commercial license will also
require retaining a law firm familiar with the potential regulatory aspects, so
it will be very expensive)

Otherwise, the code is free as in freedom, and it is my opinion that writing,
distributing, modifying, and testing it under AGPLv3 is constitutionally
protected free speech.

The 'governance model' of bitcoin is a consensus vote based on how much hash
power miners apply to the blockchain, and altcoins allow you to vote with your
hash and with your capital on both what models are interesting, and what
regulation is likely to succeed.

If you want to knock bitcoin-core down a peg or three, get coding, or at least
test my code. I would be very interested in merging patches that add a build
option to use LibBitcoin and build without openssl.

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  hozer@???
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash