Skribent: Jaromil
Til: System undo crew
Gamle-emner: Re: [unSYSTEM] oh fuck it's really happening... bitcoin is under attack
Emne: [unSYSTEM] the (universal?) timestamp issue
On Fri, 04 Jul 2014, Marvin Fernandes (HardopDenken) wrote:

>    A global automic clock is True
>    Or the time of Sunrise on a certainly point on the globe is True.
>    Cant we connect bitcoin to An atomic clock for checking  trust ?

funny that you bring up this issue. did you know this?

http://cryptome.org/2014/05/bitcoin-suicide.pdf

warning: the doom-doctor approach of the paper is quite some FUD:
written by grad students that wanted more visibility than deserved for
an issue that is kind of evident to most coders reading bitcoind.
however some crappy code is there and might be fun to solve.

it boils down to a fundamental and basic question on timestamp validity
in a trustless network.

in bitcoind the current code is src/timedata.cpp

i think this post is useful for quick understanding
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=600436.msg6621440#msg6621440

here quite some interesting mumbling by gmaxwell
http://people.xiph.org/~greg/decentralized-time.txt

ciao