:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Peter Thiel
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Robert Jakob
À: System undo crew
Sujet: Re: [unSYSTEM] Peter Thiel
I would have to say in looking at all the evidence we have so far, the
question of whether technology is inherently good or evil cannot be
answered until technology becomes conscious. As of right now technology
has been a utility for us to accomplish some task. I would have to agree
with Heidegger that technology, physics, mathematics, really any science,
and I would argue even art exists independent of man. We conduct
experiments to reveal truths of the world we live in and as a consequence
new technology is discovered. Man creates morality and therefore only man
can say what is good or evil, not technology. Heidegger briefly compared
technology to stars and constellations. I think that is an appropriate
metaphor for technology as a construct of morality. The stars have existed
for millions of years before man, but man connects the dots, creates the
stories, man creates the tools for navigating oceans. Suddenly, technology
reveals itself.

I've never read this essay before, but this is my favorite part:

As soon as what is unconcealed
no longer concerns man even as object, but does so, rather, exclusively as
standing-reserve, and man in the midst of objectlessness is nothing but the
orderer of the standing-reserve, then he comes to the very brink of a
precipitous
fall; that is, he comes to the point where he himself will have to be taken
as
standing-reserve. Meanwhile man, precisely as the one so threatened,
exhalts himself
to the posture of lord of the earth. In this way the impression comes to
prevail
that everything man encounters exists only insofar as it is his construct.
This illusion
gives rise in turn to one final delusion: It seems as though man everywhere
and always encounters only himself.

This is what I was talking about before with the exponential function of
technological progress. Very soon it will come to a precipice [Alan Moore
says this is human-beings becoming steam]. This could either lead to a
complete collapse or it will result in the singularity and the waking of
the machines, a new technology, a new evolution in consciousness to pickup
where we left off. Then, we will be forced to face the questions of
whether or not machines can have morals. What would be their agenda or
purpose? And would we play a role in their future? Was this our final
destiny all along?

Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of the machine world, as the bee of
the plant world, enabling it to fecundate and to evolve ever new forms. The
machine world reciprocates man's love by expediting his wishes and desires,
namely, in providing him with wealth.

-Marshall McLuhan