:: Re: [unSYSTEM] New piece by Brett S…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Jaromil
Dátum:
Címzett: System undo crew
Tárgy: Re: [unSYSTEM] New piece by Brett Scott (bitcoin technophobia and dark wallet)
On Mon, 02 Jun 2014, Cody R Wilson wrote:

>    Was I really just called a conservative?

lol no he writes

""
Don’t get me wrong. Wilson is a subtle and interesting thinker, and it
is undoubtedly unfair to suggest that he really believes that one can
escape the power dynamics of the messy real world by finding salvation
in a kind of internet Matrix. What he is really trying to do is to
invoke one side of the crypto-anarchist mantra of ‘privacy for the weak,
but transparency for the powerful’.

That is a healthy radical impulse, but the conservative element kicks in
when the assumption is made that somehow privacy alone is what enables
social empowerment. That is when it turns into an individualistic ‘just
leave me alone’ impulse fixated with negative liberty. Despite the
rugged frontier appeal of the concept, the presumption that empowerment
simply means being left alone to pursue your individual interests is
essentially an ideology of the already-empowered, not the vulnerable.
""

He makes a good point here, which can be used against the whole privacy
narrative in general. I've been warning about this pitfall and in
general discrepancies between the needs of "super-empowered individuals"
and people going slow in the digital.

overall its an interesting read, its main limit being the man is too
sure about his own opinions.

ciao